Thursday, June 14, 2012

On altered reality and e-crafts

Ok, so I had a rather awkward situation the other day...ok, maybe it's only awkward in my mind, but I live in a bit of a Seinfeldian universe where the minutia of life is blown up to disproportionate dimensions and is examined for every bit of entertainment or interest that I can milk out of it.

 Kind of like the Kardashians....

So the other day I'm obsessively checking my facebook (which I generally ignore...Sorry CO), for signs of life from my friend Tiana who went to Thailand for three months in hopes of catching a parasite to drop a dress size or two (Seriously, Khloe, you could learn a thing or two, girl... where is your committment?).

Actually, Tiana is jetsetting to Bangkok to attend a university there to gain a certification in peace and conflict resolution and we all really miss her.....  the parasite will just be a bonus.

So, back to Facebook, I'm looking for signs of life from T, and I notice that I have received a notification that I have received a comment on a comment that I supposedly left on the wall of an acquaintence that I hardly know ( a friend of a friend's husband) Ack... did you get all that (Hi, y'all... this is my cousin Zeke's boyfriend's sister-in law's parrot's former owner's cousin.... twahce re-moooooved....)

Curious......have I messaged a strange man who I hardly know in some kind of stress induced fugue state?      Nope, I haven't had that kind of stress induced state since last year before the boys turned human....but would have made an awesome blog post...

But no, I don't remember leaving a comment on this guy's wall.  So, getting to the point, when I checked the comment, it turns out that he replied "Aw shucks, thanks!" for a "special birthday card" that I had supposedly  made for him online and sent to him for his birthday.

Now, I know that I have not crafted this guy a special e-card to post to his wall for his birthday.... I'm never on facebook and I'm too lazy to even comment on people's profiles that I do know well.  This must be some facebook marketing thing, wherein they create false birthday cards, hijack your profile to send these cards to people on their birthdays to make them click on them and download the app to their profile.  So I think, "well, he's probably gotten dozens of these things from other people through the same marketing scheme..."

I check his wall and.... nope.  Among the 50 or so wall posts of well wishers, all from people he actually does know well, here is my post with the message "I made a special birthday card just for you", with my picture profile attached.

This just looks weird to me.  What is he thinking?  I met him once, two years ago as the husband of my friend's friend.  No other contact since that time.  And here I am, the only one on his whole facebook wall with a special birthday card made just for him????  And... what would his wife think?  I look like a weirdo.....

So now I'm left with this dilemma... do I write an offhand comment like, "yeah, I'm glad you had a good birthday, but I didn't send you a card"  kind of seems.... bitchy....

Or do I leave the card and have him think

A) I'm some kind of strange stalker or:

B)  I'm one of those strange internet people

You know the ones... sending farmville requests, forwarding you tonnes of "send this to 7 people or you'll have 100 years of bad luck"..., taking the time to calculate how smart they really are with those online IQ tests.... and they have over 4000 face book "friends".

....Obsessively creating e-cards to send to almost complete strangers over the internet...

The best I can hope for is that he thinks I'm type B, and that I scrapbook and decoupage too..... and live with lots of cats, and bejewel my wardrobe made entirely of light-wash denim....

Oh, the sisters Kardashian would kill for that storyline....






No comments:

Post a Comment